Print

Art,

I can do hierarchical on all cases. That is what I'm doing. I've got 1008
couples, 2016 individuals in the data. I've tried clustering individuals
(man and woman in cluster analysis together), couple scores together, and
combinations of couple scores.

I'm doing what I see a lot of other behavioral researchers do, start with
hierarchical do get an idea of the number of clusters, then get cluster
centers from hierarchical, use those to start cluster centers for k-means -
to get better separation and more easy to interpret clusters. I always
randomly sort my cases before each cluster run.

I've run a DFA and I think I only got 36% cases correctly classified. From a
behavioral research perspective, thinking in terms of correlation metrics
36% variance explained is pretty good. So maybe I should look at it like
that. I'm tending to think that a lack of separation and cohesion may not be
necessary. This is only one construct made up of four scales, how could I
expect it to classify people with a higher degree of certainty. I could just
keep adding other variables, and I've tried that. Like couple communication,
lifestyle, time spent with friends, but the clusters are much more general
and get away from the idea of clustering on coping.

I don't think my composite variables are ipsative. I have tried difference
scores, which sound like they'd be ipsative, but the strongest solution was
multiplying men and women. I think that maybe I'm using compositional data
when I include data for both men and women in the analysis. But that's just
from a quick google understanding of the terms.

Thanks for the good advice.

Matt