CLASS-L October 2006

CFP: CSNA 2007

Dave Dubin <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:42:22 -0500

The 2007 Meeting of the Classification Society of North America

Finding Structure in Complex Data

Extracting useful information from large and complex machine-readable
data sets is a problem faced by people in nearly every area of
commerce, manufacturing, government, and in every academic discipline
and science.  Creating an environment conducive to solving such
problems is not a mystery, but it is difficult since it requires
assembling a community with broad collective expertise in mathematics,
statistics, computing, and a wide variety of different application
areas.

For the past thirty years the Classification Society of North America
(CSNA) has gathered just such a community at its annual meetings. CSNA
members contribute a wide range of backgrounds in mathematics,
statistics, computing, information and decision sciences, in addition
to expertise in business, the physical, social, life, and earth
sciences. We are brought together by a common interest in the shape of
data analysis, extraction and summarization problems, and with the
goal of making sense of those commonalities despite differences in
terminology, notation, and the disparate professional literatures in
which we read and publish. Our meetings offer the participant a kind
of productivity that can't be matched at the discipline-specific,
tool-specific, and problem-specific meetings that we attend at other
times of the year.

CSNA 2007

The 2007 CSNA meeting will take place June 7-10, 2007, at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Urbana, Illinois. The
meeting is sponsored by the National Center for Supercomputing
Applications and the UIUC Graduate School of Library and Information
Science.  We invite proposals for contributed paper sessions in all
areas relating to classification, clustering and data analysis.

The types of problems that interest us are often described as machine
learning, pattern recognition, or data mining problems, or with
reference to the application area such as information retrieval,
molecular bioinformatics, authorship attribution, market segmentation,
psychometrics, social networks, and so on. One can get a better sense
of our diverse application areas and computational techniques by
browsing the abstracts from previous meetings (links on the web
posting of this CFP).

CSNA meeting sessions are traditionally informal, with presentations
aimed at soliciting critique, discussion, and suggestions for
improving the work.  In keeping with this atmosphere, we distribute
abstracts of presented papers, but do not publish a proceedings.

CSNA and Digital Humanities

This year CSNA follows directly after the 2007 Digital Humanities
meeting, which will take place at the same venue. Although CSNA
sessions will reflect the usual range of disciplines, our meetings
will intersect on June 7 with a Joint Workshop on Data Analysis and
Research in the Humanities. In addition, DH 2007 and CSNA 2007 will
have a mutual registration agreement, by which participants in either
meeting will be able to attend sessions at both. So plan to come to
Urbana early for some or all of the Digital Humanities meeting
starting June 2nd.  Further information on DH 2007 can be found at
http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dh2007/

Student Poster Competition

Students enrolled full time in a graduate or undergraduate program are
eligible to participate in our student research poster competition.
First prize (to be announced at the meeting) is a $500 travel stipend.
Posters will be judged by a panel of data analysis experts on research
originality, technical merit, and effectiveness of presentation. There
is a limit of one entry per student, and one author per entry. Poster
topics can be in any area of classification research.

Students wishing to enter the competition should submit a 1-2 page
extended abstract of the work by email to the proposal address below
no later than March 2, 2007.  Selected entries will be invited to
exhibit posters for the judging panel at the meeting.

Submitting your proposal

Proposals for CSNA papers are due March 2, 2007 and should include a
title, author affiliation and contact information, and an abstract of
no more than 200 words. This information should be sent as either a
plain text or LaTeX attachment by email to
[log in to unmask]  In the event of difficulties
using the address, contact David Dubin at the University of Illinois
either by email ([log in to unmask]) or by telephone (217-244-3275).
Proposals for work at the intersection of data analysis and humanistic
scholarship should indicate whether they wish to be considered for
case study discussion at the Joint DH/CSNA workshop. Student poster
competition proposals are limited to two pages.

Join us in Urbana

Registration, travel, and schedule information for CSNA 2007 will be
posted as it becomes available at
http://www.classification-society.org/csna/csna07.html Further
information about the society can be found at
http://www.classification-society.org/csna/ CSNA is a member of the
International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS).