CLASS-L Archives

September 2006

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Classification, clustering, and phylogeny estimation" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:46:41 -0400
From:
Art Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Are you looking for existing software that does different kinds of
hierarchical clustering? (different ways of deciding which pair of cases
to combine.)
SPSS,  SAS, Visual Numerics, NTCLUST, PYTHON SCILIB, etc., etc.  already
have a wide variety of approaches.
There are also many single algorithm programs.

Are you looking for algorithms that you can implement in new software?

go to www.spss.com/support
click <login to online tech support> (left pane)
click <login> (main pane)
login as "guest" password "guest"  click "ok"
click <statistics documentation> (left pane)
click <algorithms> (main pane)
click <proximities>  to see how a few dozen proximity/distance
coefficients can be created.
click <cluster>  to see about several kinds of hierarchical clustering
click <TWOSTEP> to see about a nonhierarchical method
click <quick cluster> to see about  k-means clustering.  This is a much
older method than TWOSTEP.

Hope this helps.  If it does not meet your needs, please give more
detail about what you woud like to do.

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants