CLASS-L Archives

June 2003

From:
QingHua Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:50:09 +0000
Many thanks for your kind replies. Yes, I mean "a priori" probabilities.
To make a decision, the Bayesian decision rule is

P(X|OBJECT)/P(X|NON-OBJECT)> lamda

Usually lamda=P(NON-OBJECT)/P(OBJECT). Here I just want to know how to
decide this lamda and the priori probabilities P(OBJECT) and
P(NON-OBJECT). For example in face detection or recognition, this can be
used to decide whether a new pattern is a face or non-face by computing
its likelihood ratios.From a training set the probabilistic model
parameters can be learnt. I am not sure whether the priori probabilities
should also be derived from the training set. For example, if in a
training set there are 3000 object patterns and 15000 non-object
patterns. In this case can we say the threshold, lamda, should be
15000/3000=5? Or can we still assume a equal priori which means lamda
should be 1?

Many Thanks.