CLASS-L Archives

August 2006

From:
Aaron Eakman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 20:43:04 -0400
I am using SPSS 12 for my clustering procedures.  I started with
heirarchical clustering using Wards method with squared euclidean
distance.  I have identified a three cluster solution as the best option
from a possible range of 2-4 that I established a priori.

Here is my problem, I want to next run a K-means clustering procedure.
More specifically, I want to use the centroids of the three clusters from
my heirarchical procedure as "seed" or starting values for the K-means
clustering procedure.  Unfortunately, SPSS does not generate this output
from the heirarchical procedure.  And I do not know 1) how to generate
cluster centroids from the cluster assignment information provided by SPSS
heirarchical procedure, and 2) even if I did, I do not know how
to generate an SPSS.sav file with that information for use by the K-means
approach.  A further problem, I am a point and clicker and not savvy with
command syntax; I AM WILLING TO LEARN IF IT CAN GET ME OUT OF MY MESS!!

Any persons that are SPSS  - Cluster Analysis savvy, or know others that
might lend a hand would be met with gratitude for any assistance.

Take care,

Aaron Eakman