CLASS-L Archives

September 2006

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Classification, clustering, and phylogeny estimation" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
leo horseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:06:47 -0700
Ward's method as initially implemented by Ward generally does not produce
the best hierarchical solutions.  Unless your data are of a naturally
hierarchical nature, I would suggest looked at some other method.  You may
wish to check the website for "CLUSTAN" package of programs; also obtain an
old CLUSTAN manual which would explain in some detail the operation of many
distance measures as well as a good variety of clustering methods.

Leo Horseman