Registration is open for the workshop "QUANTITATIVE CLADISTICS AND USE OF TNT -
2nd Edition", June 29 - July 3, 2015. Instructors: Dr. Goloboff and Dr. Szumik
PLACE: Facilities of the Centre de Restauració i Interpretació Paleontologica,
Els Hostalets de Pierola, Barcelona (Spain).
- Intro and Basics. Parsimony and phylogenetic systematics. Character
optimisation and mapping. Most parsimonious reconstructions and specific
changes. Input/output in TNT. Dataset formats. Using GB->TNT to create matrices.
Instruction files. Options for graphic output (SVG, metafiles). Creation of
“batch” files. Editing trees. Handling tree files. Groups of trees, characters
- Tree calculation. Tree searches. Exact solutions, Wagner trees,
branch-swapping. Local and global optima. Use of multiple addition sequences.
Improving search strategies. Factors which affect the efficiency of
tree-searches. Constraints and “timeouts”.
- Ambiguity and consensus; summarizing results. Zero-length branches and
collapsing rules. Types of consensus and their use; improving consensus trees;
supertrees. Pruned consensus. Comparison of tree-topologies; SPR distances.
- Character weighting. Successive and implied weighting. Auto-weighted
optimization. Refining character weighting with blocks; taking into account
missing entries. User-defined weighting functions.
- Group supports. Concept of group support. Bremer supports; how to calculate
them; search of suboptimal trees. Problems with Bremer supports; absolute and
relative Bremer support. Partitioned Bremer support and individual Bremer
supports. Measures based on resampling; effect of search strategies and
collapsing rules. Problems with resampling methods.
- Tree search in large and difficult data sets. Special search algorithms.
Sectorial searches. Ratchet and drifting. Tree fusing. Combining different
algorithms. Driven searches and stabilization of consensus.
- Scripting. Automation of decisions to go beyond simple commands. Flow control.
Decisions. Expressions, user variables, and internal variables. Design of simple
This course is co-organized by Transmitting Science, the Institut Catalá de
Paleontologia M. Crusafont and the Centre de Restauració i Interpretació
Paleontologica. Places are limited and will be covered by strict registration
Please feel free to distribute this information between your colleagues if you
consider it appropriate.
With best regards
Soledad De Esteban-Trivigno, PhD.
[log in to unmask]