CLASS-L Archives

November 2003

Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:48:54 -0600
Can anyone get me started in the literature on the 'small n, large p'
problem?

A couple of references would be helpful.

The problem I am faced with are consultee's who do not understand why a
simple logistic model is wrong with n = 50 (say 25 cases 25 controls) and
the number of variables (p) equal to tens of thousnads (say gene
expressions or whole genome genotypes).

(I try to explain about 50 data points embedded in a very high dimensional
space but they generally start getting that glaxzed look in their eyes.)

Bill
---

William D. Shannon, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Biostatistics in Medicine
Division of General Medical Sciences and Biostatistics

Campus Box 8005, 660 S. Euclid
St. Louis, MO   63110

Phone: 314-454-8356
Fax: 314-454-5113